Thursday, November 29, 2012

Another Step Forward

Yesterday, I put my money where my mouth is and committed to self-publishing my book.  That’s how 50 Shades and Hunger Games started before they got picked up by traditional publishers.  Print on demand felt like trying to swim, but only getting your toes wet.  To believe in myself and my abilities, I had to dive off the high board and order pre-printed copies.  Professional editing and cover design are critical to a book’s success and those are the steps I am taking right now.  I am anxious to get feedback.  In two months, I could have a paperback ready to share with the Universe.

Apparently it is mail fraud to take pre-orders if you can’t supply product within eight weeks, so I am unable to ask you for that support quite yet.  But, as soon as it’s sent to the printer, I will.  I am hoping you’ll send a little love my way when the time comes. 

Kingsley Amis said "If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in writing."  My book won’t be everyone’s mug of Earl Grey, but I refuse to believe the dozen or so who have read it are the only ones in the world who will enjoy it.  

In the meantime, I’d like to share the first painting that my book inspired.  Australian artist, Uta Mooney, titled it Intimacy.  Click on her name to learn more about her and her craft.  She is doing a solo gallery exhibit completely based on images drawn from my story.  I should acknowledge that she painted the header I am using on this site. It is only a portion of a much larger painting that will be unveiled at her show in February.  How cool is that? 


6 comments:

  1. It's all so freaking exciting!! I love Cabin 108 and I will send you all the support and love you need or want when the time comes! By the way, it's just too bad that photos don't do the painting justice. It's really spectacular in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goofy big smile still on face for you and thoughts of good are sent out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit this is making me squirm a little (okay, a lot). Thanks for the praise Robin. I too can't wipe the goofy smile off my face hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. has it every been done that your work be in the book through out...as the story is told then an real image pops up as you read...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay you! I'm proud of you for following your dream. I have a saying on my wall that reads "The world is full of wonderful things for those who's dreams are borne on wings" Kinda trite but also true. You have fledged! I might buy a copy or two....;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy for you! Can't wait for the printed book! So exciting for you, Glenn...and so exciting to all of us who you talked to while in the process! Thank you for including us.

    ReplyDelete