Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Journey Moves On

With the holidays behind me, I put on my tool belt and locked myself in Cabin 108.  An imagination carpenter, this rewrite was a major remodel.  I tend to write like people talk.  "It was just us" is improper English; it should be "It was just we" or "It was I".  Who the heck talks like that?  Seems to me the written word should reflect the spoken word and not the other way around.  What a job.

Today, I finished the project and my second draft is now in the hands of my editor for inspection. I embraced most of her suggestions, resisted a few, and the story is now tighter, more developed in character description, growth and story line, yet I stayed true to the message.  Now it's hurry up and wait for my editor's response which will probably take two weeks.  I am already over budget with editing costs, but it's a critical piece of the process if my name is going to be attached.

I have no idea how many hours I have put into this project from start to finish, but I will feel no guilt selling each copy at full list price.  There is no doubt there will be a third draft, but my hopes are high that the issues will dwindle with each ensuing revision.  Proud of myself for getting this far, I have invested too much to give up now.  This is my baby and another milestone has been reached!

9 comments:

  1. So proud of your achievements Glenn. Well done. This has been an exciting journey to be witness. I wish you every success. Fingers crossed the third draft will be quick and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. If that is an example of a change "It was just us" to "It was just we", I guess I'm surprised at the editorial part. I like the first one better and would read it smoother. The second one would trip me up unless I was reading Shakespeare or some other formal or old text. I read books that are written like the common man speaks. Part of the character. Interesting. I'm glad to hear you changed some, rejected some. Good that you are feeling through her 'suggestions' and doing what's right for your book. Glad you are feeling pride in your book. Proud to see another large step accomplished. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still smiling for you, Nightwriter.
    ~v~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've hooked up with a good editor, altho it might be driving you nuts at the moment. I think of DH with his thesis and the number of items such as you mentioned that had to be changed for proper scholarly writing.
    Hang tough~~you'll have a gem in the end!

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for cheering me on, everyone. So as not to come across as illiterate, I got around my statement of "It was just us" without using it or any of her "proper" language. My editor dealt with both grammar and substance. I am really hoping she finds both significantly improved in this second draft. It's going to be a long two weeks waiting for feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Wonderful, Glenn - you're on your way! I agree that "it was just us" is certainly a smoother phrase too. And yes, being that it's like conversational. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this post until now. I see you have already finished your first rewrite, congratulations! It is so exciting to be following along on this journey you are on. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My editor said she would start her analysis of the second draft today and expects to have her response back to me by the end of next week. I am trying to stay busy so the wait isn't quite as painful.

    ReplyDelete